[U-Boot] imximage: MAX_HW_CFG_SIZE_V2 too small for i.MX6D?

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Wed May 14 10:18:38 CEST 2014

Hi Arne,

On 14/05/2014 06:07, Arne Rovet wrote:
> MAX_HW_CFG_SIZE_V2 is defined as 121 in tools/imximage.h, but I think
> the processor reference manual implies it can be larger (i.MX
> 6Dual/6Quad Applications Processor Reference Manual, Rev. 1, 04/2013).
>
> In the section labelled "8.6.2 Device Configuration Data (DCD)" it
> says the DCD can be a maximum of 1768 bytes:
> "The maximum size of the DCD limited to 1768 bytes."

It is the same for MX53 - header V2 is valid for i.MX6 and also for i.MX53.

> Have I misunderstood the link between the DCD size and
> MAX_HW_CFG_SIZE_V2? If so, where did the value of 121 for
> MAX_HW_CFG_SIZE_V2 come from?

I cannot answer this question. But even if the DCD can be longer, there
is an initial load region size that is differnet (table 7-26 on i.MX53
manual, table 8-26 on i.MX6Q manual). For example, on SD the i-MX53
loads up 2KB, the i.MX6Q 4KB. The whole header must fit in the initial
load region.

The main question is also if a large DCD table is needed. The DCD is
supposed in U-Boot to set up the minimal requirement to let the
processor to copy the u-boot image into RAM - the rest can be done in
U-Boot code after the boot ROM has completed its job.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de