[U-Boot] Mainline u-boot SPL for socfpga

Pavel Machek pavel at denx.de
Wed May 14 18:42:58 CEST 2014

Hi!

> I am trying to understand the state of the socfpga preloader in mainline
> u-boot.
>
> >From what I see, this is broken and perhaps has never worked.

That's correct AFAICT.

> When I build the code in u-boot-socfpga I get a healthy working
> u-boot-spl.bin of approx 45kbytes.
>
> When I build the mainline u-boot code I get a broken u-boot-spl.bin of
> approx 3kbytes.
>
> It seems the mainline u-boot is missing stuff, including the all-critical
> sdram initialisation without which the SPL is useless.

Are you able to build working u-boot proper from recent sources?

I know u-boot SPL misses critical parts, but I was told that u-boot
proper should have everything. Only... I was not able to get it to
work. [I'm attempting to load recent u-boot from patched/old u-boot; I
know this is not exactly recommended, but due to spl/proper split, it
should work AFAIK... and does for old versions.]

Any ideas?

Thanks,
									Pavel