[U-Boot] Mainline u-boot SPL for socfpga

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Wed May 14 21:01:25 CEST 2014

On Thursday 15 May 2014 04:42:58 Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > I am trying to understand the state of the socfpga preloader in mainline
> > u-boot.
> >
> > >From what I see, this is broken and perhaps has never worked.
>
> That's correct AFAICT.
>
> > When I build the code in u-boot-socfpga I get a healthy working
> > u-boot-spl.bin of approx 45kbytes.
> >
> > When I build the mainline u-boot code I get a broken u-boot-spl.bin of
> > approx 3kbytes.
> >
> > It seems the mainline u-boot is missing stuff, including the all-critical
> > sdram initialisation without which the SPL is useless.
>
> Are you able to build working u-boot proper from recent sources?
>
> I know u-boot SPL misses critical parts, but I was told that u-boot
> proper should have everything. Only... I was not able to get it to
> work. [I'm attempting to load recent u-boot from patched/old u-boot; I
> know this is not exactly recommended, but due to spl/proper split, it
> should work AFAIK... and does for old versions.]

I have not tried booting u-boot proper from mainline. It just seemed pointless
to me to be working from 2 source trees to make a single product.

I will give it a go though.

As Chin Liang See has said, there are two issues thwarting this: legal AND
source conformance. The code we can fix, the legal can only be fixed by
bending Altera - I am going to do that too.

Regards

Charles