[U-Boot] Standalone application issue.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 28 06:30:32 CEST 2014

Dear Rommel,

In message <loom.20140528T012622-10 at post.gmane.org> you wrote:

> I've never got "bootm" to run any of the standalone applications in the

Actually "go" is the native command that is supposed tobe used to
start SA apps.

> example directory but through trial and error (maybe luck) "bootelf" works
> for me. I've tested that this works with old 2010.XX and latest 2014.XX
> releases. Note I use PowerPC, but worth I try in your case I guess.
>

> This is how I build the hello_world binary:
>
> tools/mkimage -A powerpc -T standalone -C none -a 0x200000 -e 0x200000 -n
> hello_world -d examples/standalone/hello_world hello_world.img
>
> And these are these serries of commands that loads and executes the binary:
>
> usb start
> fatload usb 0 80000 hello_world.img
> bootelf 80040

Frankly, this is crap.  You don;t make use of the image header here,
so you could as well save all the efforts.  Just store "hello_world"
(the ELF file) in your file system, then load that dierectly, and
start it.  There is no sense in using mkimage as done above.

> test # bootelf 80040
> ## Starting application at 0x00040000 ...
> Example expects ABI version 6
> Actual U-Boot ABI version 6
> Hello World
> argc = 1
> argv[0] = "80040"
> argv[1] = "<NULL>"
> Hit any key to exit ...

And how would you pass additional arguments to the SA app?

Use "go", this was made for the purpose at hand!

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Everybody is talking about the  weather  but  nobody  does  anything
about it."                                               - Mark Twain