[U-Boot] porting u-boot, few final questions

DaveKucharczyk david.kucharczyk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 21:45:12 CET 2014

Update: my board_late_init() function wasn’t working because I defined
BOARD_LATE_INIT instead of CONFIG_BOARD_LATE_INIT. Doh!

Since arch/arm/lib/board.c file is being removed, and when
CONFIG_SYS_GENERIC_BOARD is defined, we are now using…
common/board_f.c (for pre-relocation init)
common/board_r.c (for post-relocation init)

So my board file sequence is (in order of calling sequence according to the
above two files)…

1.	board_early_init_f() – needed to setup my uart, otherwise early output is
missed
2.	checkboard() – print board info - still in flash
3.	board_init() – says chipselects should be setup here – we are running
from RAM now
4.	initr_env() is called here
5.	board_late_init() -

Nikolay, appears you are correct, initr_env must be called first in order to
use setenv. That’s why setenv didn’t work in board_early_init_f or
checkboard or board_init.

Fabio, your change worked when I use setenv in misc_init_r and helped me
debug some issues. Thanks guys.

Is there a doc or a good read that explains which init functions are
necessary for what? Or which ones should be used for “proper” design?

I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions real soon. :)