[U-Boot] Query on CONFIG_SYS_THUMB_BUILD

Bill Pringlemeir bpringlemeir at nbsps.com
Thu Nov 20 17:34:45 CET 2014

On 20 Nov 2014, albert.u.boot at aribaud.net wrote:

> I am getting lost, even when reading (quickly, I admit) the patch that
> adds it; I don't see what -mauto-it does exactly. Can you summarize
> and clarify the effects of -mimplicit-it (I guess I know this one but
> it's never a bad thing to get a second opinion), -mauto-it and their
> interaction?

I guess you know how the 'IT' works.  The Ubuntu/Debian people give a
good explanation in a few paragraphs,

 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/Thumb2PortingHowto#Conditional_Execution

My trying to explain this may have confused thing...

Here is Wolfgang's reference,

 https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2009-05/msg00132.html

Here is a 2nd reference,

 https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2009-06/msg00162.html

Originally Daniel Gutson used '-mauto-it' and then it was converted to
'-mimplicit-it'.

I am not sure if '-mauto-it' exists in the wild.  I have never heard of
that option before seeing this email thread. Also my assembler says,

   Assembler messages:
   Error: unrecognized option -mauto-it

I have built with the most recent binutils, gcc4.9.1 using crosstool-ng.
Maybe only some non-mainline tools picked up this '-mauto-it' patch.  I
don't think it hurts to support '-mauto-it', but an assembler test
should be done to see if it accepts the option.

hth,
Bill Pringlemeir.