[U-Boot] Query on CONFIG_SYS_THUMB_BUILD

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Fri Nov 21 13:22:26 CET 2014

Hello Bill,

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 11:34:45 -0500, Bill Pringlemeir
<bpringlemeir at nbsps.com> wrote:

> Originally Daniel Gutson used '-mauto-it' and then it was converted to
> '-mimplicit-it'.

Ok, so I was right in my gut(son)[1] feeling that -mauto-it was a
predecessor of -mimplicit-it -- and actually only in the first
iteration(s) of the patch that would have introduced it.

> I am not sure if '-mauto-it' exists in the wild.  I have never heard of
> that option before seeing this email thread. Also my assembler says,
>
>    Assembler messages:
>    Error: unrecognized option -mauto-it
>
> I have built with the most recent binutils, gcc4.9.1 using crosstool-ng.
> Maybe only some non-mainline tools picked up this '-mauto-it' patch.  I
> don't think it hurts to support '-mauto-it', but an assembler test
> should be done to see if it accepts the option.

I've gone through the binutils git tree, and -mauto-it is mentioned
only in a patch that fixes the gas /docs/ which erroneously mentioned
-mauto-it where it should have mentioned -mimplicit-it.

Hence, I think we should not test for -mauto-it at all, and not
mention it even.

Stefan, can you resubmit without the -mauto-it part, and renaming
AFLAGS_AUTOIT into AFLAGS_IMPLICIT_IT?

> hth,
> Bill Pringlemeir.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.
[1] I am never ashamed of doing lame puns.