[U-Boot] Bare x86 support is merged to u-boot-x86

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Tue Nov 25 22:51:06 CET 2014

Hi Bin (and others interested in U-Boot on x86),

I've applied the remaining x86 patches to u-boot-x86. It runs on
chromebook_link (Pixel) with support for most hardware relevant to a
boot loader: SDRAM, SPI, PCI, USB (and USB Ethernet), SATA (internal
32GB SSD), SD card, LCD, UART, keyboard, EC.

Bin this should be a good base for you to send patches for your Atom
platform and I have no major work pending now so should not get in
your way.

Instructions on how to build and run are here:

http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/X86

For this platform 4 binary blobs are needed. This is an unavoidable
feature of the platform at present. The blobs cover flash descriptor,
SDRAM init, video init and Management Engine. Instructions on how to
get these are on the same page.

Here is a list of some missing features:

- README.x86 in the source (mostly the content from the Wiki page
would be a good start)
- MTRR support (for performance)
- Audio
- Chrome OS verified boot (only a rough rebase has been done, I'm not
sure how to track mainline anyway)
- SMI and ACPI support, to provide platform info and facilities to Linux

Regards,
Simon