[U-Boot] Mini Summit 2014 Followup / Transcript of Open Discussion

Michal Simek monstr at monstr.eu
Mon Oct 20 12:51:28 CEST 2014

Hi Detlev

On 10/17/2014 05:02 PM, Detlev Zundel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it was a pleasure for me to meet so many of you this Monday in
> Düsseldorf at the ELCE.  As many as 17 current custodians and 2
> prospective new custodians were present at the event:
>
>   Hans de Goede - Sunxi
>   Alexey Brodkin - ARC
>   Marek Vasut - USB
>   Scott Wood - NAND
>   Joe Hershberger - Networking
>   Anatolij Gustschin - Video
>   Heiko Schocher - I2C
>   Stefano Babic - ARM i.MX
>   Stefan Roese - PowerPC 4xx, CFI flash
>   Wolfgang Denk - PowerPC 8xx, 82xx, 85xx, 5xxx, 7xx, 74xx
>   Lukasz Majewski - DFU, OneNAND
>   Tom Rini - Master of the git tree
>   Pantelis Antoniou - MMC
>   Daniel Schwierzek - MIPS
>   Masahiro Yamada - Uniphier, Kconfig / Kbuild
>   Simon Glass - x86, Driver model, patman, buildman
>   Nobuhiro Iwamatsu - SH architecture
>   Vince Bridgers - SoCFPGA (soon)
>   Przemyslaw Marczak - PMIC (soon)

Not for full day but
+ Michal Simek - Microblaze architecture, ARM Zynq

> The six talks gave rise to a lot of good discussions and the
> presentation slides are now up on the wiki page[1].
>
> The page is topped with a picture of the participants of the discussion
> round in the evening.  I started adding the names of the people that
> gave me explicit approval to do so but I would like to extend this list
> somewhat further.  Whenever there is an NA without a question mark, then
> I know the name and will fill it in when I get the approval.  If there
> is a question mark behind it then I'm unsure and would be glad to get
> some help _in addition_ to the approval ;)

Feel free to identify me.

> As promised, here are my notes that I took during the evening
> discussion - feel free to follow-up on individual items by cutting out
> the rest of the mail:
>
> --------8<-----------------8<---------
>
> * Open Discussion
>
> ** ARM core vs ARM SoC custodianship
>
> Collection of patches should go to mainline in one bunch, rather than
> splitting them for every custodian repository.  Individual custodians
> can ack parts of such a series.  This should be the default - custodians
> should only pick up individual bits when those bits are pretty isolated.

I don't think this was an agreement to be honest.
Merge early and merge often is golden rule for new SoCs.
None is simply working on NAND when you don't have core SoC support
or serial console.
It means preferred way is to merge sensible patch series from start
and then extend it to the drivers exactly how you do your SoC bringup.

If you have bigger series touching some areas you need to get ack from
custodian or you can be asked to split that series.

Thanks,
Michal

--
Michal Simek, Ing. (M.Eng), OpenPGP -> KeyID: FE3D1F91
w: www.monstr.eu p: +42-0-721842854