[U-Boot] Mini Summit 2014 Followup / Transcript of Open Discussion

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Oct 22 10:55:40 CEST 2014

Hello Michal,

> Hi Detlev
>
> On 10/17/2014 05:02 PM, Detlev Zundel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> it was a pleasure for me to meet so many of you this Monday in
>> Düsseldorf at the ELCE.  As many as 17 current custodians and 2
>> prospective new custodians were present at the event:
>>
>>   Hans de Goede - Sunxi
>>   Alexey Brodkin - ARC
>>   Marek Vasut - USB
>>   Scott Wood - NAND
>>   Joe Hershberger - Networking
>>   Anatolij Gustschin - Video
>>   Heiko Schocher - I2C
>>   Stefano Babic - ARM i.MX
>>   Stefan Roese - PowerPC 4xx, CFI flash
>>   Wolfgang Denk - PowerPC 8xx, 82xx, 85xx, 5xxx, 7xx, 74xx
>>   Lukasz Majewski - DFU, OneNAND
>>   Tom Rini - Master of the git tree
>>   Pantelis Antoniou - MMC
>>   Daniel Schwierzek - MIPS
>>   Masahiro Yamada - Uniphier, Kconfig / Kbuild
>>   Simon Glass - x86, Driver model, patman, buildman
>>   Nobuhiro Iwamatsu - SH architecture
>>   Vince Bridgers - SoCFPGA (soon)
>>   Przemyslaw Marczak - PMIC (soon)
>
> Not for full day but
> + Michal Simek - Microblaze architecture, ARM Zynq

Thanks for adding yourself in - the names above were the custodians
present during the introductory part so very likely you were not there
from the beginning.

[...]

>> The page is topped with a picture of the participants of the discussion
>> round in the evening.  I started adding the names of the people that
>> gave me explicit approval to do so but I would like to extend this list
>> somewhat further.  Whenever there is an NA without a question mark, then
>> I know the name and will fill it in when I get the approval.  If there
>> is a question mark behind it then I'm unsure and would be glad to get
>> some help _in addition_ to the approval ;)
>
> Feel free to identify me.

Thanks, done.

>> As promised, here are my notes that I took during the evening
>> discussion - feel free to follow-up on individual items by cutting out
>> the rest of the mail:
>>
>> --------8<-----------------8<---------
>>
>> * Open Discussion
>>
>> ** ARM core vs ARM SoC custodianship
>>
>> Collection of patches should go to mainline in one bunch, rather than
>> splitting them for every custodian repository.  Individual custodians
>> can ack parts of such a series.  This should be the default - custodians
>> should only pick up individual bits when those bits are pretty isolated.
>
> I don't think this was an agreement to be honest.

I tried to use the word "should" and not "must" to allow for case by
case decisions, but I think there was an agreement on the direction of
the proposal.

> Merge early and merge often is golden rule for new SoCs.
> None is simply working on NAND when you don't have core SoC support
> or serial console.
> It means preferred way is to merge sensible patch series from start
> and then extend it to the drivers exactly how you do your SoC bringup.
>
> If you have bigger series touching some areas you need to get ack from
> custodian or you can be asked to split that series.

I believe we are in sync here.

Best wishes
  Detlev

--
(7)  It is always something
(7a) (corollary). Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two (you can't have all three).