[U-Boot] efi: Error building as EFI payload (both 32bit and 64 bit)

Bin Meng bmeng.cn at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 14:15:02 CEST 2015

Hi Igor,

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 7:22 PM, Stoppa, Igor <igor.stoppa at intel.com> wrote:
> Hi Bin,
>
> On 14 August 2015 at 13:30, Bin Meng <bmeng.cn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I reread the doc and found the only thing that confused you is 'make
>> menuconfig'. Actually it is not needed as the build step of EFI
>> application and payload is pretty clear.
>
> Please notice also that not all the options mentioned are immediately
> available from the qemu_x86_defconfig, so it is not possible to know
> if they are binary or something else.

These are Kconfig options. I am not sure what makes you think they are binary?

> That might be inferred from the doc, when it is said to set a certain option.
> So one might just try to set it to "y"
> But it's not 100% obvious.

Again, these are Kconfig stuff. You can easily add these options by
looking at the existing options in the same config file, even without
knowing Kconfig.

> Maybe the simpler and more effective way to let people easily play
> with EFI builds of U-Boot is to provide variants of the qemu defconfig
> file.

I believe the intention here is that we don't want to create too many
board defconfig files with just one or two different option(s). With
EFI payload, technically almost every x86 board we support can support
building as the EFI payload. If we do that way, we may end up creating
too many config variants to "pollute" the U-Boot source tree. The
defconfig files (as indicated by its name) is only the default
configuration for a board and one can adjust the file with whatever
options he likes to add/remove.

Regards,
Bin