[U-Boot] [RFC] Merge all ns16550 dm serial drivers into one

Bin Meng bmeng.cn at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 01:57:57 CEST 2015

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 7:18 AM, Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 14 August 2015 at 16:51, Stephen Warren <swarren at wwwdotorg.org> wrote:

>>> The clock-frequency is a fixed value on x86 super i/o chipset, and
>>> fixed on the PCI bus too. But for ARM and PPC, it might get
>>> dynamically calculated due to different PLL settings. We can implement
>>> a _weak function like the one in serial_ppc.c get_serial_clock() to
>>> initialize plat->clock with its return value. The _weak function gets
>>> clock-frequency from device tree. If there is not, platform codes
>>> which uses the ns16550 driver should provide the implementation of
>>> get_serial_clock(). Thoughts?
>>

>> There is no clock-frequency property in DT, at least for the Tegra DT
>> binding. It looks like some other bindings have it. To obtain the clock
>> frequency from DT for Tegra, you'd need to parse the clocks property, find
>> the clock driver associated with the phandle in DT, and go and ask that
>> clock driver what the clock frequency is.
>>
>> I'd prefer not to have a weak function that parses clock-frequency, since
>> it's too easy to accidentally use it on systems where parsing that property
>> is incorrect.
>>
>> Certainly, a generic UART driver can call out to a platform-supplied
>> function to retrieve the clock, and we can provide driver-specific
>> implementations for x86 super IO and PCI, and generic implementations that
>> appropriate drivers can call to parse the clocks or clock-frequency property
>> from DT, and finally for Tegra if we can't parse the clocks property right
>> now, call the Tegra clock driver directly to look up the value.
>
> I'm not a big fan of weak functions either. In fact I think with
> driver model we should avoid them. If we can't call a uclass to get
> the info then perhaps we should wait until we can.
>
> Pragmatically I wonder if a UART clock frequency would not be a useful
> compromise? Some bindings have it, some do not. Maybe we should just
> add it?

I am not sure which bindings you are looking at, but I checked the
Power.org ePAPR spec v1.1, the clock-frequency is there specially
listed for NS16550 compatible nodes.

clock-frequency R <u32> Specifies the frequency (in Hz) of the baud
rate generator’s input clock

If you don't have such clock-frequency in your device tree, I would
say you don't follow the spec.

Regards,
Bin