[U-Boot] [RFC] Merge all ns16550 dm serial drivers into one

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Sat Aug 15 01:18:33 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 14 August 2015 at 16:51, Stephen Warren <swarren at wwwdotorg.org> wrote:
> On 08/14/2015 04:40 PM, Bin Meng wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 12:59 AM, Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Stephen,

>>> I mean the clock-frequency property. However if there is a plan to
>>> implement the clock framework in U-Boot that would be good too.
>>>

>> The clock-frequency is a fixed value on x86 super i/o chipset, and
>> fixed on the PCI bus too. But for ARM and PPC, it might get
>> dynamically calculated due to different PLL settings. We can implement
>> a _weak function like the one in serial_ppc.c get_serial_clock() to
>> initialize plat->clock with its return value. The _weak function gets
>> clock-frequency from device tree. If there is not, platform codes
>> which uses the ns16550 driver should provide the implementation of
>> get_serial_clock(). Thoughts?
>

> There is no clock-frequency property in DT, at least for the Tegra DT
> binding. It looks like some other bindings have it. To obtain the clock
> frequency from DT for Tegra, you'd need to parse the clocks property, find
> the clock driver associated with the phandle in DT, and go and ask that
> clock driver what the clock frequency is.
>
> I'd prefer not to have a weak function that parses clock-frequency, since
> it's too easy to accidentally use it on systems where parsing that property
> is incorrect.
>
> Certainly, a generic UART driver can call out to a platform-supplied
> function to retrieve the clock, and we can provide driver-specific
> implementations for x86 super IO and PCI, and generic implementations that
> appropriate drivers can call to parse the clocks or clock-frequency property
> from DT, and finally for Tegra if we can't parse the clocks property right
> now, call the Tegra clock driver directly to look up the value.

I'm not a big fan of weak functions either. In fact I think with
driver model we should avoid them. If we can't call a uclass to get
the info then perhaps we should wait until we can.

Pragmatically I wonder if a UART clock frequency would not be a useful
compromise? Some bindings have it, some do not. Maybe we should just
add it?

Regards,
Simon