[U-Boot] Can't start Linux if U-Boot built with CONFIG_WATCHDOG

Paul Murphy paul at murphy.dk
Wed Aug 26 16:04:24 CEST 2015

Matthew Lear <matt <at> bubblegen.co.uk> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I've added watchdog support based on U-Boot (git) for the m68k coldfire
> mcf54455evb platform. I've fed the patch to the maintainer to help in
> development.
>
> However, I am unable to start my m68k w/MMU coldfire Linux kernel from
> U-Boot if U-Boot is built with CONFIG_WATCHDOG regardless if the
> watchdog_enable(), watchdog_reset() and watchdog_disable() functions
> touch hardware or not.

I had the same problem.
To any poor person who finds this in the future, the fix maybe this:

http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2009-July/055928.html

My problem was similar - it's not a problem with the watchdog exactly, but
a bug in the common/image.c:memmove_wd, that overwrites parts of the
source information when shifting the kernel from one location to the
required location for booting.

-Paul