[U-Boot] [Q] Why does SPL use uImage load address as entry point?

Phil Edworthy phil.edworthy at renesas.com
Wed Feb 11 13:26:43 CET 2015

Hi,

I'm doing some work with U-Boot SPL, and noticed the following code in the
spl_parse_image_header function (common/spl/spl.c):
	if (image_get_magic(header) == IH_MAGIC) {
		if (spl_image.flags & SPL_COPY_PAYLOAD_ONLY) {
		} else {
			spl_image.entry_point = image_get_load(header);
			/* Load including the header */
			spl_image.load_addr = spl_image.entry_point -
				header_size;
		}

Could anyone tell me why SPL uses the load address from the header as the
entry point address, and then calculates the entry point, rather than just
use the ones in the uImage header?

Thanks
Phil