[U-Boot] i.MX28 u-boot SPL fail

Fabio Estevam festevam at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 20:08:00 CET 2015

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 8:16 AM, Marco Cavallini
<cavallini.koan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have already studied this useful document
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/pub/U-Boot/MiniSummitELCE2013/2013-u-boot-mxs-without-fsl-tools.pdf
>
> I do not need any encryption.
> I did exactly the same as explained here
> http://www.denx-cs.de/doku/?q=m28evkrunuboot
>
>  make u-boot.sb
>
> Then I do not have SD nor other storage so I mus use USB firmware upload
> http://www.denx-cs.de/doku/?q=m28evkusbdownloader
>
> Load u-boot.sb onto the device:
>  sudo ./mxsldr <path to u-boot.sb>
>
> This procedure works perfectly on the i.MX28evk, but doesn't on my
> custom board so I supposed that u-boot-2015.01 STL works perfecly on
> i.MX28 and MfgTools upload.
>
> Differences are:
> - DUART on alternate pins
> - DDR different
> - eMMC instead of NAND
>
> I don't know how i.MX28 ROM boot works so my question are:
> - should I see something on the serial port BEFORE the DDR settings are done?
> - if I put some code in mxs_common_spl_init() is this executed
> immediately  BEFORE the DDR (and power) settings are done?

You could try this patch to have debug output from SPL:
http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=commitdiff;h=950eaf6230496585e72ebb965c458d35c6c7eac1;hp=e8cdeefc222ff32a80282dd571be0426156cd9d9

Make sure you have DEBUG and CONFIG_SPL_SERIAL_SUPPORT enabled.

Also, double check the DDR initialization for your board.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam