[U-Boot] Question on the max size of SPL and OMAP3 SRAM

Adam Lee adam.yh.lee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 01:47:14 CET 2015

I have a Gumstix Overo (OMAP3) with a 512MiB NAND. I have been validating
BCH8 ecc scheme and one of the problems I ran into is this:

arm-linux-gnueabi-ld.bfd: u-boot-spl section `.rodata' will not fit in
region `.sram'
arm-linux-gnueabi-ld.bfd: region `.sram' overflowed by 4092 bytes

This happens because BCH8 support increases the size of my SPL to larger
than 54KiB  defined by CONFIG_SPL_MAX_SIZE in ti_omap3_common.h.

My plan at the moment is to strip out unnecessary and unpopular features
from SPL to save space. If I fail to fit my SPL under 54kiB, I'd like to
know if it is safe to increase the size defined by config.

As per README.omap3, there is about 9KB (0x4020E000 - 0x4020BBFF) of
unallocated space between the SPL data and SPL stack:

Option 2 (SPL or X-Loader):
0x40200800 - 0x4020BBFF: Area for SPL text, data and rodata
0x4020E000 - 0x4020FFFC: Area for the SPL stack.

Is this space being used for something? I'm sure there have been a good
reason for this division. I would like to have some insight as to how and
why.

Thanks,

Adam