[U-Boot] Question on the max size of SPL and OMAP3 SRAM

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Wed Feb 18 19:32:15 CET 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 04:47:14PM -0800, Adam Lee wrote:
> I have a Gumstix Overo (OMAP3) with a 512MiB NAND. I have been validating
> BCH8 ecc scheme and one of the problems I ran into is this:
>
> arm-linux-gnueabi-ld.bfd: u-boot-spl section `.rodata' will not fit in
> region `.sram'
> arm-linux-gnueabi-ld.bfd: region `.sram' overflowed by 4092 bytes
>

> This happens because BCH8 support increases the size of my SPL to larger
> than 54KiB  defined by CONFIG_SPL_MAX_SIZE in ti_omap3_common.h.
>
> My plan at the moment is to strip out unnecessary and unpopular features
> from SPL to save space. If I fail to fit my SPL under 54kiB, I'd like to
> know if it is safe to increase the size defined by config.

This is probably your best bet.  My hope is that as part of moving to
Kconfig we can make these support choices easier.

> As per README.omap3, there is about 9KB (0x4020E000 - 0x4020BBFF) of
> unallocated space between the SPL data and SPL stack:
>
> Option 2 (SPL or X-Loader):
> 0x40200800 - 0x4020BBFF: Area for SPL text, data and rodata
> 0x4020E000 - 0x4020FFFC: Area for the SPL stack.
>

> Is this space being used for something? I'm sure there have been a good
> reason for this division. I would like to have some insight as to how and
> why.

Well, the best answer is to check the TRM and see what it says about the
ROM memory map.  My recollection is that 0x40200800 - 0x4020BBFF is the
download area and 0x4020E000 - 0x4020FFFC is what it calls the public
stack and we decide to use it for our stack (rather than keeping it in
the download area).  The range inbetween (0x4020BC00 - 0x4020DFFF) is
claimed by the ROM and we shouldn't touch it.

Unless the TRM says something different of course.