[U-Boot] Is anyone working on NAND support for Armada-XP?

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Tue Feb 24 21:33:01 CET 2015

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 09:03:15 PM, Chris Packham wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Marek Vasut <marex at denx.de> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 06:18:00 AM, Chris Packham wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >> I find myself in need of a NAND flash controller.
> >>
> >> I could probably massage the one from Marvell's bootloader into shape
> >> which actually appears to be based on the pxa3xx_nand.c driver from
> >> Linux. It appears that there was some effort put into adding a pxa3xx
> >> driver a while back[1] but that thread appears to end with the patch
> >> being dropped.
> >
> > Yeah, I never got to fixing it proper in the end.
>
> Was the old attempt a port or an implementation from scratch?

The one from OpenPXA was a port of the PXA3xx NAND driver from Linux.
It was done by Igor Grinberg to my knowledge.

> >> Is there anything more current that I could nudge along? Or should I
> >> just start with porting Marvell's one.
> >
> > Maybe you should just start porting the PXA3xx one from Linux ? That
> > one is the highest quality right now to my knowledge.
>
> Any idea of of how close to "the u-boot way" the Linux driver is? I
> haven't started looking at it yet.

The MTD subsystem in U-Boot is imported from Linux and periodically synced.
This task should be pretty easy.

> I might need to do something expedient for my needs right now and come
> back to doing a proper port later. The Marvell one is at least
> implemented for u-boot, albeit v2013.01 and with their horrible USP
> style. But if the port from Linux is relatively trivial it might be
> easier to do than to catch the Marvell code up with 2 years of u-boot
> development.

Well, I can understand why you'd like to avoid Marvell BSP all right ;-)

Best regards,
Marek Vasut