[U-Boot] ZYNQ, ZC702 getting started

Hannes Schmelzer hannes at schmelzer.or.at
Fri Sep 18 09:32:05 CEST 2015

>> Hi,
>>
>> i am currently starting development software for a new B&R board based on
>> the ZYNQ7000.
>>
>> To make live easier i want to try start with the Xilinx Evalboard ZC702, get
>> there some experience to start afterwards with my own board.
>>
>> I have allready built "zynq_zc702_defconfig" - but have no plan how to bring
>> the build output to my board.
>> Is it necessary to build some FSBL with the Xilinx SDK an merge the output
>> with u-boot's output ?
>> Or is it possible to take some SPL und U-Boot, burn it so SD-Card or QSPI
>> flash and run ?
> Either works fine.
>
> For SPL use mmc instead of QSPI - qspi patches on the way to merge mainline.
>
> mmc:
> build the source in mainline and download zynq boot.bin generator from
> [1] and copy boot.bin and u-boot-dtb.img on to sd card, thats it.
>
> [1] https://github.com/openedev/u-boot-zynq/blob/master/tools/zynq-boot-bin.py

Hi jagan,

many thanks for response and help.

It is now bit more cleaner to me ... in final i wan't to use hw guys
output (ps7_* files) and build my software.
At this point i think, i don't need the Vivado or Xilinx SDK at all ...
just my ARM toolchain and u-boot. Fine.

For the beginning i will use mmc (or maybe jtag). Finally i must use
qspi. I think the QSPI support can be found on your github [1].

I've downloaded [1] ... and run:

~/work/u-boot-zynq $ tools/zynq-boot-bin.py
test.py -u <inputfile> -o <outputfile>

What is the input file ?
For my understanding, i need 2 input files (SPL and u-boot), or i'm wrong ?

best regards,
Hannes