[U-Boot] SPL boot with NAND on i.MX6 data abort

Markus Stelzhammer markus.stelzhammer at sigmatek.at
Thu Sep 24 17:03:15 CEST 2015

Hi Stefano,

Today I grabbed a different Hardware with a bigger NAND chip (512
instead of 256MB).
At this hardware, SPL is not able to jump to U-Boot. So currently I
assume that I might have some problems when flashing.

Would you be so kind to review my header file if I miss something or if
there is something completely wrong?! (I attached it)
The commands I use to flash are the following:

 > ./kobs-ng init -v -x SPL
 > nandwrite --start=0x11000 --pad /dev/mtd0 u-boot.uim         (I also
tried to flash u-boot.bin and u-boot.imx)

The output I get at boot are the following, but then it stucks.
 >>spl:board_init_r()
using memory 0x18300000-0x1b500000 for malloc()
spl_init()
boot device - 4
spl: nand - using hw ecc
NAND : 0x01:0xdc erasesize=1 (>>0)
writesize=-1 (>>0)
oobsize=65535
chipsize=1095216660225
Not support the NAND chips whose oob size is larger then 1024 bytes!
1044479 MiB
nand_spl_load_image offset:0x00011000 len:64 page:69632
mkimage signature not found - ih_magic = 0
nand_spl_load_image offset:0x00011000 len:409600 page:69632
Jumping to U-Boot
loaded - jumping to U-Boot...image entry point: 0x17800000

On 09/24/2015 11:25 AM, Stefano Babic wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> On 23/09/2015 10:02, Markus Stelzhammer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I'm currently working on the port of u-boot for our custom boards.
>> Previously we were using u-boot based on v2013.04 without SPL for our
>> boards (we have boards with SD also) and this worked for all of our
>> devices.
>>
>> As we now have new boards with different (bigger) RAM, I decided to use
>> the newest bootloader (v2015.10) and enable SPL support.
>> This is already working on a board with SD-Card but I'm not getting it
>> to work on the boards with NAND.
>>
>> When I try to boot, SPL is detecting and loading u-boot but u-boot
>> throws a "data abort" during "ubifs mount".
> u-boot ist also in NAND ? Then SPL has configured correctly the device
> else u-boot was not loaded.
>
>> The strange thing for me is that when I disable SPL, the board will boot
>> properly.
> You can try to follow the data abort and check which addresses are
> involved. We cannot underestimate that the bug is still present in
> u-boot, but it appears only together with SPL.
>
>> Could anyone give me a hint how I could trace this error?
>> I can also provide logs or code snippets if needed!
> Some initialization done previously in u-boot, is done now by SPL -
> check your code if there is something missing.
>
> As your board is not mainlined, we cannot help a much with code.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefano Babic

Best regards,
Markus