[U-Boot] SPL boot with NAND on i.MX6 data abort

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Thu Sep 24 11:25:38 CEST 2015

Hi Markus,

On 23/09/2015 10:02, Markus Stelzhammer wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm currently working on the port of u-boot for our custom boards.
> Previously we were using u-boot based on v2013.04 without SPL for our
> boards (we have boards with SD also) and this worked for all of our
> devices.
>
> As we now have new boards with different (bigger) RAM, I decided to use
> the newest bootloader (v2015.10) and enable SPL support.
> This is already working on a board with SD-Card but I'm not getting it
> to work on the boards with NAND.
>
> When I try to boot, SPL is detecting and loading u-boot but u-boot
> throws a "data abort" during "ubifs mount".

u-boot ist also in NAND ? Then SPL has configured correctly the device
else u-boot was not loaded.

> The strange thing for me is that when I disable SPL, the board will boot
> properly.

You can try to follow the data abort and check which addresses are
involved. We cannot underestimate that the bug is still present in
u-boot, but it appears only together with SPL.

> Could anyone give me a hint how I could trace this error?
> I can also provide logs or code snippets if needed!

Some initialization done previously in u-boot, is done now by SPL -
check your code if there is something missing.

As your board is not mainlined, we cannot help a much with code.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de