[U-Boot] test/py - test OS boot

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Thu Apr 21 19:43:08 CEST 2016

On 04/18/2016 07:46 AM, Michal Simek wrote:
> Hi Stephen and Simon,
>
> have you thought how to use test/py for testing OS boot?
> I am not experienced with python to quickly hack it myself but in
> general I think we should support boot till OS (to test OS handoff,
> legacy, fit formats, bootm subcommands, go, etc) till certain point and
> then do reset and if that pattern is found test should pass.
> I was trying to find out a way how to perform reset command and let test
> pass.
> Is there any way how to do it?

I think you'd want to do something like the following in the test:

try:
     orig_to = u_boot_console.p.timeout
     # wait_for_prompt=False makes the core code not wait for the U-Boot
     # prompt code to be seen, since it won't be on a successful kernel
     # boot
     u_boot_console.run_command('run bootcmd', wait_for_prompt=False)
     u_boot_console.p.timeout = something_long
     # You might want to expand wait_for() with options to add extra bad
     # patterns which immediately indicate a failed boot, or add a new
     # "with object" function u_boot_console.enable_check() that can
     # cause extra patterns like the U-Boot console prompt, U-Boot boot
     # error messages, kernel boot error messages, etc. to fail the
     # wait_for().
     u_boot_console.wait_for('login:')
finally:
     u_boot_console.p.timeout = orig_to
     # This forces the console object to be shutdown, so any subsequent
     # test will reset the board back into U-Boot. We want to force this
     # no matter whether the kernel boot passed or failed.
     u_boot_console.drain_console()
     u_boot_console.cleanup_spawn()

You should probably wrap the timeout manipulation into an automatic
object that you can use with a "with" statement, similar to how
u_boot_console_base.py's ConsoleDisableCheck class and disable_check()
function work. That will isolate the logic a bit.

Perhaps the structure of the above logic could be wrapped into a
function/"with object":

# Shorter variable name just for email wrapping
c = u_boot_console
with c.needs_target_restart_afterwards():
     c.run_command('run bootcmd', wait_for_prompt=False)
     with c.temporary_timeout(120):
         u_boot_console.wait_for('login:')