[U-Boot] Problem of git clone with http

Sergey Kubushyn ksi at koi8.net
Wed Apr 27 23:05:47 CEST 2016

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Andreas,

>> I was just banging my head not being able to fetch the latest U-Boot
>> stuff, running into the same issue, and successfully worked around it by
>> using the git:// URL. However it wasn't until I wanted to post about
>> this on this mailing list that I found this thread :)
>>
>> Anyways it seems like this issue already persists for one month without
>> a fix. For folks behind draconian corporate firewalls the http:// URLs
>> are often easier to use, so this is a bit of a trap....
>
> Agreed.  But the first step of getting something fixed is to report it
> to the responsible admins, or here on the list.  I never use HTTP
> myself to access the repository, as git protocol is so much more
> efficient.  So unless somebody shouts about it, I will never notice
> any such problems.
>
> I've tweaked things a bit - can you please give it another try?  If
> you still see problems (either now or later) please make sure to
> report them to me, and I will make sure someone looks into it.

This seems to be a widespread thing. It is definitely caused by buggy Cisco
firewalls corrupting binary files. I had the same problem in corporate
environment (where I have my day job right now) 100% traced to their proxy
servers. All traffic is going through some Cisco proxies (don't know what
devices/software it is) and it was impossible to clone a git repo because
data was corrupted when going through those buggy things.

In my case, as I'm more like a principal engineer here, corporate IT made a
hole for my development machines so they go to the Net directly. That solved
the issue.

Before that cloning always failed when uncompressing objects. That also
applied to _ANY_ compressed files downloaded from the Net if those were
big enough. Smaller files were OK and small git repos didn't have any
problems but when they were bigger than some threshold all such files
arrived corrupted.

---