[U-Boot] Problem of git clone with http

Andreas Dannenberg dannenberg at ti.com
Wed Apr 27 23:21:30 CEST 2016

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 02:05:47PM -0700, Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2016, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>
> >Dear Andreas,

> >>I was just banging my head not being able to fetch the latest U-Boot
> >>stuff, running into the same issue, and successfully worked around it by
> >>using the git:// URL. However it wasn't until I wanted to post about
> >>this on this mailing list that I found this thread :)
> >>
> >>Anyways it seems like this issue already persists for one month without
> >>a fix. For folks behind draconian corporate firewalls the http:// URLs
> >>are often easier to use, so this is a bit of a trap....
> >
> >Agreed.  But the first step of getting something fixed is to report it
> >to the responsible admins, or here on the list.  I never use HTTP
> >myself to access the repository, as git protocol is so much more
> >efficient.  So unless somebody shouts about it, I will never notice
> >any such problems.
> >
> >I've tweaked things a bit - can you please give it another try?  If
> >you still see problems (either now or later) please make sure to
> >report them to me, and I will make sure someone looks into it.
>
> This seems to be a widespread thing. It is definitely caused by buggy Cisco
> firewalls corrupting binary files.

In my case since I partially work off-site (enjoying unrestricted
Internet access during those times), the issue also occurred without any
type of firewall in-between (well, except my little home office router).
So it seems like there are several things that can go wrong, of course
corporate firewalls like you pointed out often being a major culprit.

Regards,
Andreas