[U-Boot] Fwd: change the relocate address of u-boot

Marwa Hamza marwahamza63 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 20:41:38 CEST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com>
Date: 2016-04-28 20:08 GMT+02:00
Subject: Re: [U-Boot] change the relocate address of u-boot
To: Marwa Hamza <marwahamza63 at gmail.com>
Cc: u-boot at lists.denx.de

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 02:47:21PM +0100, Marwa Hamza wrote:

> hey
> i 'm trying to start a whole system on qemu (kernel ,
> bootloader,filesystem) and i need to change the relocate address , so i'm
> wondering if there is a patch to change this address 0x10000000

You need to provide a lot more details as without any changes today
U-Boot is able to run in qemu for a number of boards that qemu supports
today.  In fact, I need to get around to converting some kernelci.org
rootfs tarballs into images to pass along and use...

--
Tom
well qemu doesn't need a bootloader to emulate a linux kernel , it needs
only zImage and rootfs file system
qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -kernel zImage -initrd rootfs.img.gz
I played with QEMU emulation of an ARM Versatile Platform Board
<http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.dui0224i/index.html>,
making it run bare metal programs
<https://balau82.wordpress.com/2010/02/28/hello-world-for-bare-metal-arm-using-qemu/>,
the U-Boot
<https://balau82.wordpress.com/2010/03/10/u-boot-for-arm-on-qemu/> boot-loader
and a Linux kernel
<https://balau82.wordpress.com/2010/03/22/compiling-linux-kernel-for-qemu-arm-emulator/>
complete
with a Busybox-based file system
<https://balau82.wordpress.com/2010/03/27/busybox-for-arm-on-qemu/>. I
tried to put everything together to emulate a complete boot procedure, but
it was not so simple
as we on execution the code copies itself into another address, which by
default is 0x1000000 (16MiB). This feature comes handy in this scenario
because it frees lower memory space in order to copy the Linux kernel. The
compressed kernel image size is about 1.5MiB, so the first 1.5MiB from the
start address must be free and usable when U-Boot copies the kernel
that works perfectly when the kernel 's size is small but when i use a
kernel 's size over 4MiB that wouldn't work that 's why changing the
relocate address will free more space
regards
marwa