[U-Boot] Problem with mounting a jffs2 partition on flash.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 8 13:22:33 CET 2016

Dear Denis,

In message <BFEE4BD273371E48B6EB70F96CEC5B54F300DB at DEMUMBX007.nsn-intra.net> you wrote:

> Yes, I'm aware that jffs2 is quite old and ubifs is a successor of
> jffs2, but the reason is that current Linux Kernel has no support for
> UBI.

What do you mean by "current" here?  UBI/UBIFS support in U-Boot was
actually adapted from the Linux kernel, so Linux support for UBI/UBIFS
predates the U-Boot code by a long, long time.

Do you mean you are using a prehistoric Linux kernel version?

> I understand that it should have solution, but it requires
> recompiling Linux kernel which is also time consuming.

Hm... just recompiling is only a matter of seconds (or, on a very slow
system, minutes max).  I understand there are other concerns that you
don't want to update?  Please be aware that there it is likely that
there other incompatibilities / bugs in such an ancient kernel...

> > What exactly are these "other problems" ?
>
> U-Boot launches, but after that it is hanging.
> U-Boot 2016.01 (Feb 05 2016 - 14:15:47 +0100)
>
> CPU:   Altera SoCFPGA Platform
> FPGA:  Altera Arria V, D5, version 0x0
> BOOT:  QSPI Flash (3.0V)
>        Watchdog enabled
> I2C:   ready
> DRAM:
>
> I will try to tackle this problem also.
> However, I must say that I don't have much experience with U-Boot,
> so maybe I'm missing something obvious?

It appears it is hanging in the DRAM initialization phase.  This is a
very common issue.  Please make sure your memory configuration is
correct.

> Can you please share some examples of correct configuration for
> such use case (jffs2 partition on NOR flash with SPI)?

You can deal with this later; first you need to have the system
running at all.  You should focus on this first.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Far back in the mists of ancient time, in the great and glorious days
of the former Galactic Empire, life was wild, rich  and  largely  tax
free.         - Douglas Adams, _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_