[U-Boot] Problem with mounting a jffs2 partition on flash.

Bakhvalov, Denis (Nokia - PL/Wroclaw) denis.bakhvalov at nokia.com
Mon Feb 8 13:07:47 CET 2016

Hi Wolfgang,

Thank you for your quick reply.

> 1) Is there any specific reason for using JFFS2?  We consider this
>   pretty much deprecated today and usually tend to prefer UBI/UBIFS.

Yes, I'm aware that jffs2 is quite old and ubifs is a successor of jffs2, but the reason is that current Linux Kernel has no support for UBI.
It means that if will use UBI in U-boot we can't see the contents in Lunix env after it starts.
I understand that it should have solution, but it requires recompiling Linux kernel which is also time consuming.

So, for a proof of concept I decided to make it work with jffs2.

> 2) Especially with SoCFPGA it is highly recommended to use current
>   mainline code.

> As mentioned, it is highly recommended to use current mainline
> instead.

> OK - I understand this is with the OLD version of U-Boot, right?
Yes, current logs are from OLD U-boot version.

> What exactly are these "other problems" ?

U-Boot launches, but after that it is hanging.
U-Boot 2016.01 (Feb 05 2016 - 14:15:47 +0100)

CPU:   Altera SoCFPGA Platform
FPGA:  Altera Arria V, D5, version 0x0
BOOT:  QSPI Flash (3.0V)
       Watchdog enabled
I2C:   ready
DRAM:

I will try to tackle this problem also.
However, I must say that I don't have much experience with U-Boot, so maybe I'm missing something obvious?

Can you please share some examples of correct configuration for such use case (jffs2 partition on NOR flash with SPI)?
I spent some time digging into the code, enabling different defines, so now it is complete mess in my sources.

Best regards,
Denis Bakhvalov

MBB Radio Platforms, RFSW