[U-Boot] Problem with mounting a jffs2 partition on flash.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 8 12:41:08 CET 2016

Dear Denis,

In message <BFEE4BD273371E48B6EB70F96CEC5B54F2F018 at DEMUMBX007.nsn-intra.net> you wrote:

> That's why we want to mount a jffs2 partition on flash at U-boot stage. Unfortunately we've faced some problems and we need help from your side.
> We have Altera SOCFPGA Arria V Board. We use U-boot from SOC Embedded Design Suite.  We have NOR flash with SPI interface (S25FL512S).

1) Is there any specific reason for using JFFS2?  We consider this
   pretty much deprecated today and usually tend to prefer UBI/UBIFS.

2) Especially with SoCFPGA it is highly recommended to use current
   mainline code.

> I prepared Jffs2 partition from Linux env using flash_eraseall -j
> command. It is perfectly mountable from Linux env, I can put files on
> it etc.
>
> 1.      Currently we are using U-boot 2013:
> U-Boot 2013.01.01 (Jan 26 2016 - 11:50:12)

As mentioned, it is highly recommended to use current mainline
instead.

> # ls
>
> --- jffs2_part_info: partition number 3 for device nor0 (snor0)
> rescan: First time in use
> raise: Signal # 8 caught
> Scanning JFFS2 FS:  done.
>
> ******The directory Entries******
>
> ******The fragment Entries******
>
> As you can see ls command fails.

OK - I understand this is with the OLD version of U-Boot, right?

You wrote:

> We are ok to upgrade our U-boot to a fresh one, however we faced
> other problems with it.

What exactly are these "other problems" ?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get  us  in  trouble.
It's  the  things  we know that ain't so." - Artemus Ward aka Charles
Farrar Brown