[U-Boot] Problem with mounting a jffs2 partition on flash.

Bakhvalov, Denis (Nokia - PL/Wroclaw) denis.bakhvalov at nokia.com
Mon Feb 8 11:56:13 CET 2016

Dear U-boot Support,

My name is Denis and I'm representing Nokia.

We want to have flexibility in choosing which Linux kernel image to load for different HW configurations.
But we don't want to define several partitions and use hardcoded addresses on the flash to fetch the needed
Linux kernel image. We want to keep them in a one big partition and choose between them using their filenames.

That's why we want to mount a jffs2 partition on flash at U-boot stage. Unfortunately we've faced some problems and we need help from your side.
We have Altera SOCFPGA Arria V Board. We use U-boot from SOC Embedded Design Suite.  We have NOR flash with SPI interface (S25FL512S).

I prepared Jffs2 partition from Linux env using flash_eraseall -j command. It is perfectly mountable from Linux env, I can put files on it etc.
1.      Currently we are using U-boot 2013:
U-Boot 2013.01.01 (Jan 26 2016 - 11:50:12)
VERSION : 00.02.04.00

We are ok to upgrade our U-boot to a fresh one, however we faced other problems with it.

Here is the actual problem:

# mtdparts
---list_partitions---

device nor0 <snor0>, # parts = 4
#: name                size            offset          mask_flags
0: boot                0x00100000      0x00000000      0
1: bootenv             0x00080000      0x00100000      0
2: SomeInfo            0x01980000      0x00180000      0
3: jffs2spart          0x02500000      0x01b00000      0

--- mtd_part_info: partition number 0 for device nor0 (snor0)

active partition: nor0,0 - (boot) 0x00100000 @ 0x00000000

# chpart nor0,3
=> mtddevnum 3,
=> mtddevname jffs2spart
partition changed to nor0,3

# ls

--- jffs2_part_info: partition number 3 for device nor0 (snor0)
rescan: First time in use
raise: Signal # 8 caught
Scanning JFFS2 FS:  done.

******The directory Entries******

******The fragment Entries******

As you can see ls command fails.

I tried to change U-boot configuration several times, with no success.
I can paste my configuration if needed.

But first I would like to hear major hints. Because it could happen so, that I'm doing something wrong.

Your support would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Denis Bakhvalov

MBB Radio Platforms, RFSW