[U-Boot] Problem with mounting a jffs2 partition on flash.

Bakhvalov, Denis (Nokia - PL/Wroclaw) denis.bakhvalov at nokia.com
Wed Feb 10 14:18:11 CET 2016

Hi Marek,

> That's not mainline SPL. Please use mainline SPL with mainline U-Boot.
> Mixing and matching various versions of U-Boot and SPL is not supported.

> Is there any reason why you are using non-mainline SPL ?

We received information from Altera that we should stick to this previous version of SPL.
Even if we decide to upgrade U-Boot itself.
I don't know why. They just wrote it.
Although I will try both variants.

> I thought you were using mainline U-Boot, but this output is from non-mainline
> U-Boot now. And it also contains some odd debug prints which are not even
> present in the U-Boot Altera delivers. I have to admit, I am quite confused.

Sorry for confusing you. We tried both variants.
With old version I had problems with creating jffs2/ubifs upon a partition that contains Linux kernel.

My colleague tried to build U-Boot 2016.01. But he failed with hanging U-Boot as a result.
I will try to do it once again and let you know about the results.

> I suppose you have Arria V SoCDK and you're trying to run U-Boot 2016.01 on
> it, right ? Can you load the mainline SPL and mainline U-Boot and see if
> that works for you? If it does not, please share the entire boot log .

I will try to do.

> If you have a custom board, you will need to change the memory timing bits
> based on the output from Quartus . This is slightly more involved in both
> the altera setup and mainline setup.

Thanks for that hint.

> I was more interested in the procedure you used. I usually install mainline
> U-Boot onto a board which boots from QSPI this way:

> $ quartus_hps -c 1 -o PV -a 0x0 u-boot-with-spl-dtb.sfp

Yes, exactly. But we have separated SPL and U-Boot images and put them separately (with two commands).

> Is this u-boot 2016.01 or the ancient version provided by Altera please ?

This is the old version (2013).

> Is there any reason why you don't use Linux 4.4 ? There are customers who
> are using this on socfpga just fine, including FPGA manager and DT overlays
> to deal with the FPGA part.

This is good question on which I'm not ready to answer yet.
I understand that the newer the better, but this is still not an easy decision.
Anyway I will think about that after I will solve my issue with U-Boot .

Best regards,
Denis Bakhvalov