[U-Boot] Problem with mounting a jffs2 partition on flash.

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Wed Feb 10 17:16:30 CET 2016

On 02/10/2016 02:18 PM, Bakhvalov, Denis (Nokia - PL/Wroclaw) wrote:
> Hi Marek,

Hi Denis,

>> That's not mainline SPL. Please use mainline SPL with mainline U-Boot.
>> Mixing and matching various versions of U-Boot and SPL is not supported.
>
>> Is there any reason why you are using non-mainline SPL ?
>
> We received information from Altera that we should stick to this previous version of SPL.
> Even if we decide to upgrade U-Boot itself.

That depends on who you talk to ;-)

> I don't know why. They just wrote it.
> Although I will try both variants.

Please just use mainline everything. If you use Arria V SoCDK, you can
just grab 2016.01 , compile it and write u-boot-with-spl-dtb.sfp to
offset 0x0 of the QSPI and it should just magically work.

>> I thought you were using mainline U-Boot, but this output is from non-mainline
>> U-Boot now. And it also contains some odd debug prints which are not even
>> present in the U-Boot Altera delivers. I have to admit, I am quite confused.
>
> Sorry for confusing you. We tried both variants.
> With old version I had problems with creating jffs2/ubifs upon a partition that contains Linux kernel.

The UBI/UBIFS code in U-Boot was synced with Linux after 2013.01
release, so this doesn't surprise me. With the new 2016.01 , you
even get UBI fastmap as a bonus, which is entirely missing in the
older versions. The fastmap does make a significant difference.

> My colleague tried to build U-Boot 2016.01. But he failed with hanging U-Boot as a result.
> I will try to do it once again and let you know about the results.

That might as well be because you mixed the old SPL with new U-Boot.

>> I suppose you have Arria V SoCDK and you're trying to run U-Boot 2016.01 on
>> it, right ? Can you load the mainline SPL and mainline U-Boot and see if
>> that works for you? If it does not, please share the entire boot log .
>
> I will try to do.

Thanks!

>> If you have a custom board, you will need to change the memory timing bits
>> based on the output from Quartus . This is slightly more involved in both
>> the altera setup and mainline setup.
>
> Thanks for that hint.

Let me know if you need input on this.

>> I was more interested in the procedure you used. I usually install mainline
>> U-Boot onto a board which boots from QSPI this way:
>
>> $ quartus_hps -c 1 -o PV -a 0x0 u-boot-with-spl-dtb.sfp
>
> Yes, exactly. But we have separated SPL and U-Boot images and put them separately (with two commands).

Please don't :-)

>> Is this u-boot 2016.01 or the ancient version provided by Altera please ?
>
> This is the old version (2013).
>
>> Is there any reason why you don't use Linux 4.4 ? There are customers who
>> are using this on socfpga just fine, including FPGA manager and DT overlays
>> to deal with the FPGA part.
>
> This is good question on which I'm not ready to answer yet.
> I understand that the newer the better, but this is still not an easy decision.

You get bugfixes and new features, some of which are extremely
convenient and make working with the FPGA part much less painful,
like the DToverlay support and FPGA manager parts. You should consider
using mainline.

> Anyway I will think about that after I will solve my issue with U-Boot .

Indeed.