[U-Boot] test/py main_signon

Michal Simek michal.simek at xilinx.com
Wed Feb 17 08:24:23 CET 2016

Hi Heiko,

On 17.2.2016 07:34, Heiko Schocher wrote:
> Hello Michal,
>
> Am 16.02.2016 um 17:04 schrieb Michal Simek:
>> Hi Heiko,
>>
>> On 16.2.2016 14:32, Heiko Schocher wrote:

>>> Does this board has SPL support without SPL serial output?
>>
>> I do load u-boot via jtag that's why SPL logs are not visible.
>>
>>> If so, can you try my patch:
>>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/583348/
>>
>> I have applied your patch but it is still not working.
>>
>> If I run full flow with SPL then I can't see any issue.
>
> I am not an expert of test/py (I still try to dig into it), but as
> I understand it, it looks if CONFIG_SPL is defined, if so, the
> framework expects a SPL output first, if not found, it raises
> the error you see ...
>
> My patch fixes this, for boards which use SPL, but without serial
> SPL output ...
>
> Now you test only u-boot with SPL configured with SPL serial output ...
>
> I think Stephen can say here more, how to solve this ...

Ok. I have spent some time on this. Your patch is covering a little bit
different case than I have.
We have in general two used cases. One is to use SPL as first stage
bootloader and then private full featured FSBL.
Both of them works with the same u-boot image. It means I can build
uboot with SPL and run two test sets. One with SPL which is working fine
and the second without but there is no reason to rebuild u-boot without
SPL just to pass testing.
It means the feature I am looking for is more about ignoring SPL signon
instead of supporting cases where SPL doesn't print anything.

Thanks,
Michal