[U-Boot] test/py main_signon

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed Feb 17 19:38:42 CET 2016

On 02/17/2016 01:42 AM, Michal Simek wrote:
> Stephen: Do you have your u-boot-test-hooks for qemu?

I only have some local hacks that aren't at all generic. They're on my
laptop at home so I can't share them right now, but I can describe them
from memory:

u-boot-test-flash: Does nothing

u-boot-test-reset: Does nothing (I assume the test/py code will kill and
restart the u-boot-test-console process each time it executes
u-boot-test-reset).

u-boot-test-console: exec()s qemu with whatever target-specific options
are required to make it execute the appropriate U-Boot binary as
firmware (rather than the more common option of booting a Linux kernel
for example), and with the emulated serial port connected to qemu's
stdin/stdout. Something like:

exec qemu-system-arm -M raspi2 -serial stdio -fw /path/to/u-boot.bin ...

I had considered a new u_boot_console_qemu to standardize this a bit
more. I'm not sure how useful this is since the user will still need to
provide some configuration e.g. where the qemu binary is located, if
there's a disk image to use for the emulated SD card, whether their
system can support emulated Ethernet in qemu, etc. So, they may as well
use u_boot_console_exec_attach, and implement the same hook scripts as
any other system.

I had also wondered about updating .travis.yml to test via qemu too.
Maybe that's better done by an external test system though.