[U-Boot] confused by "upgrade_available=0\0" in include/configs/taurus.h

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Jul 23 13:42:28 CEST 2016

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> You may also want to read the README:
>
>  911 - Bootcount:
>  917                 CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_ENV
>  918                 If no softreset save registers are found on the hardware
>  919                 "bootcount" is stored in the environment. To prevent a
>  920                 saveenv on all reboots, the environment variable
>  921                 "upgrade_available" is used. If "upgrade_available" is
>  922                 0, "bootcount" is always 0, if "upgrade_available" is
>  923                 1 "bootcount" is incremented in the environment.
>  924                 So the Userspace Applikation must set the "upgrade_available"
>  925                 and "bootcount" variable to 0, if a boot was successfully.

  i note there seems to be some redundancy in the README. early on:

    911 - Bootcount:
    912                 CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_LIMIT
    913                 Implements a mechanism for detecting a repeating reboot
    914                 cycle, see:
    915                 http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/UBootBootCountLimit
    916
    917                 CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_ENV
    918                 If no softreset save registers are found on the hardware
    919                 "bootcount" is stored in the environment. To prevent a
    920                 saveenv on all reboots, the environment variable
    921                 "upgrade_available" is used. If "upgrade_available" is
    922                 0, "bootcount" is always 0, if "upgrade_available" is
    923                 1 "bootcount" is incremented in the environment.
    924                 So the Userspace Applikation must set the "upgrade_available"
    925                 and "bootcount" variable to 0, if a boot was successfully.

and much further down:

   3088 - bootcount support:
   3089                 CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_LIMIT
   3090
   3091                 This enables the bootcounter support, see:
   3092                 http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/UBootBootCountLimit
   3093
   3094                 CONFIG_AT91SAM9XE
   3095                 enable special bootcounter support on at91sam9xe based boards.
   3096                 CONFIG_BLACKFIN
   3097                 enable special bootcounter support on blackfin based boards.
   3098                 CONFIG_SOC_DA8XX
   3099                 enable special bootcounter support on da850 based boards.
   3100                 CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_RAM
   3101                 enable support for the bootcounter in RAM
   3102                 CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_I2C
   3103                 enable support for the bootcounter on an i2c (like RTC) device.
   3104                         CONFIG_SYS_I2C_RTC_ADDR = i2c chip address
   3105                         CONFIG_SYS_BOOTCOUNT_ADDR = i2c addr which is used for
   3106                                                     the bootcounter.
   3107                         CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_ALEN = address len

can these two sections not be combined? i can add that to my cleanup
list as well.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca