[U-Boot] confused by "upgrade_available=0\0" in include/configs/taurus.h

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jul 25 12:03:35 CEST 2016

On Mon, 25 Jul 2016, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Robert,
>
> In message <alpine.LFD.2.20.1607230737010.12216 at localhost.localdomain> you wrote:
>
> >    3094                 CONFIG_AT91SAM9XE
> >    3095                 enable special bootcounter support on at91sam9xe based boards.
> >    3096                 CONFIG_BLACKFIN
> >    3097                 enable special bootcounter support on blackfin based boards.
> >    3098                 CONFIG_SOC_DA8XX
> >    3099                 enable special bootcounter support on da850 based boards.
>
> This is name space pollution t best, and has potential to cause
> unwanted side effects.  This needs thorough checking and cleanup, if
> it should turn out thatthese macros are used only to select specific
> bootcount implementations - in that case, they should be renamed
> into something like CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_* or such.
>
> Heiko, maybe you could have a look at that, please?

  i'm not sure it's as bad as it looks, since those macros are used
specifically in drivers/bootcount/Makefile:

  obj-y                           += bootcount.o
  obj-$(CONFIG_AT91SAM9XE)        += bootcount_at91.o
  obj-$(CONFIG_BLACKFIN)          += bootcount_blackfin.o
  obj-$(CONFIG_SOC_DA8XX)         += bootcount_davinci.o
  obj-$(CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_AM33XX)  += bootcount_davinci.o
  obj-$(CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_RAM)     += bootcount_ram.o
  obj-$(CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_ENV)     += bootcount_env.o
  obj-$(CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_I2C)     += bootcount_i2c.o

and drivers/bootcount/ is processed only if:

  obj-$(CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_LIMIT) += bootcount/

but i do see the single, more precise example of
CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_AM33XX, so someone else can decide if anything
should be renamed here.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca