[U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2016.09 is released

Lukasz Majewski l.majewski at samsung.com
Mon Sep 12 18:58:22 CEST 2016

Hi Tom,

> Hey all,
>
> I've released v2016.09 and it's now live on git and FTP and ACD (along
> with PGP sig file).
>
> To repeat some of the highlights from the rc releases:
> - More DM work (MMC, of-platdata for size constrained instances, etc)
> - Lots and lots of architecture / SoC / Platform updates: x86,
> rockchip, sunxi, TI, NXP/FSL, Tegra, Zynq, uniphier
> - mkimage cleanups
> - More test.py updates, vboot now a testcase
> - Secure boot work on both ARM and PowerPC.
> - PSCI updates
> - MAKEALL is gone, buildman is for use by all
> - We now have xtensa support
> - DT overlays
> - More Kconfig migration
> - Some NFS fixes
>
> Note that in some cases you may see a message like:
> CACHE: Misaligned operation at range [xxxxxxxx,yyyyyyyy]
> and there's good and bad news here.  What had been a debug print (and
> so off basically) is now a regular message.  So there's no new
> problems, just problems that are now visible and we're working on
> fixing.  Some of these were solved during the cycle but some of them
> still need some more discussion or just a decision being made (so,
> that's on me).
>
> Another thing I'd like to call out, and ask for a little help with too
> is automated testing.  The framework in test/py/test.py can be used on
> real hardware and Stephen Warren has been doing a good job having
> things run on Tegra boards.  You can see his scripts here[1].  I've
> setup locally some of my boards (some TI, RPi3, A20-OLinuXino-Lime2)
> and I'm looking at adding more still, so long as I can update U-Boot
> in a way that does not involve the console.  You can see my scripts
> here[2] and I'm cleaning things up and pushing them back up to
> Stephen.  But there's always more to do and test.  Is anyone else out
> there running this on real hardware, or would like to set this up?
> Has anyone out there gotten this hooked up with qemu?

For testing I'm using real HW - Odroid U3 and Odroid XU3 boards

Basically, I'm using DFU [*] and Thor to upload binaries (kernel,
rootfs, u-boot, mbr.img when needed).

The architecture is as follows:
- Buildbot to display data
- Some bash scripts with wrapped expect to control the device (Yes, it
  works stable). I'm also using u-boot's  ./test/py/test.py
- Simple FTDI serial dongle [2], control SW (python) can be found
  here [3]
- Arduino relays - [4]
- NO JENKINS - R.I.P

[*] - It is also possible to use DFU via ETH [1]

[1] - ./doc/README.dfutftp
[2] -
https://www.amazon.com/Gikfun-FT232RL-Adapter-Arduino-AE1186x2/dp/B01HXT8DZ4/ref=sr_1_18?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1473698450&sr=1-18&keywords=ftdi+usb+to+serial
[3] - https://github.com/lmajewski/HWT_io_ctl
[4] -
https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Channel-Module-Arduino-Raspberry/dp/B00KTEN3TM/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1473698574&sr=1-3&keywords=arduino+relay

Cost effective and simple.

Moreover, the Buildbot controlled tests also perform build tests for
Samsung and other manufacturers.

Two remote repositories are monitored (polled) - u-boot master and my
u-boot-dfu {master|testing}

More than 1k runs for both boards without failure.

Supported tests:
- Build u-boot and flash it
- Check flashed u-boot version
- u-boot_dfu-gadget (out ./test/py/ test)
- u-boot_ums-gadget (out ./test/py/ test)
- u-boot_shell_basics (out ./test/py/ test)
- u-boot_help (out ./test/py/ test)
- u-boot_test_unknown_cmd (out ./test/py/ test)
- kernel_build_and_boot
- u-boot_sleep (out ./test/py/ test)

Screenshot attached.

> As always, I know I'm missing pointing out a few things that I should
> point out and would encourage folks to chime in if there's anything
> they would like to highlight.
>
> Thanks again everyone!
>
> [1]: https://github.com/swarren/uboot-test-hooks
> [2]: https://github.com/trini/uboot-test-hooks

Lukasz Majewski

Samsung R&D Institute Poland (SRPOL) | Linux Platform Group