[U-Boot] recommended place to add some custom settings to u-boot environment?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Sep 14 11:27:33 CEST 2016

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Robert,
>
> In message <alpine.LFD.2.20.1609140451540.23455 at localhost.localdomain> you wrote:
> >
> >   on my target board, there is some non-linux environment info in
> > "var=val" form that i want to drag into the current environment
> > whenever u-boot starts up. my plan is just to import that content
> > into a (new) hash table, then tweak it a bit before further adding
> > it to "env_htab". the logistics seem pretty straightforward, i'm
> > just curious as to where the *right*(?) place is to do this.
>
> Sounds complicated...
>
> >   does that make sense? at that point, all of the normal
> > environment will have been initialized, and i'll have access to
> > "env_htab". thoughts? is there a better place to "adjust" the
> > u-boot environment once u-boot has done its normal work? thanks.
>
> Why not simply putting this as text (or wrapped with an uImage
> header) into some storage (or even a file) and then use "env import"
> to load it?

  the problem is that that additional "environment" info is on the
target board because of a legacy non-linux OS -- it's at a well-known
address in flash, and we have no freedom to change it, we can only
read it, make some adjustments, then incorporate it into the current
environment.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca