[U-Boot] recommended place to add some custom settings to u-boot environment?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 14 14:58:39 CEST 2016

Dear Robert,

In message <alpine.LFD.2.20.1609140524480.27791 at localhost.localdomain> you wrote:

> > Why not simply putting this as text (or wrapped with an uImage
> > header) into some storage (or even a file) and then use "env import"
> > to load it?
>
>   the problem is that that additional "environment" info is on the
> target board because of a legacy non-linux OS -- it's at a well-known
> address in flash, and we have no freedom to change it, we can only
> read it, make some adjustments, then incorporate it into the current
> environment.

Which format is used?  Can it not be made to work with "env import"
using this well-known address?  I mean, if it's plain text, it should
just work.  If it's some other, more exotic format, you could probably
implement a custom import format?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
When a man sits with a pretty girl for  an  hour,  it  seems  like  a
minute.  But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute -- and it's lon-
ger than any hour. That's relativity.              -- Albert Einstein