[U-Boot] interaction between CONFIG_CMD_SAVEENV and CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND

Nicolas le bayon nlebayon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 09:56:40 CEST 2016

Dear Wolfgang,

Regarding your recommendations about U-Boot usage, I completely agree with
that. In fact, In my description, I wouldn't give too many details, but
your answer leads me to add some :-)

As I told you, this "old" u-boot is used only as primary bootloader, and
its main objective is just to "source" a script on an external device. Note
that this script is only a text file that can be modified by the user.

We propose different script examples to the user, the basic one will only
start the kernel (all images will be stored on the external device), but
the most used one will start a secondary bootloader, so a second u-boot
(this one is currently in rebasing phase, on 2016.09 release). And in this
second u-boot, there is no access restrictions, user will be able to custom.

Finally note that this is an intermediate step of our project. In final
release, this "primary u-boot" will be replaced by a "bootrom" (so no more
u-boot), and in that case, we will have only one "secondary" u-boot. Hope
this clarifies :-)

Back to our issue on our "primary" u-boot, we found an alternative. We
generate two binaries, the first one used only to flash the second. In that
case, we are able te disallow use of external env for the second and flash
access (define CONFIG_ENV_IS_NOWHERE and undef CONFIG_XXX_FLASH). It seems
functional after further tests.

So indeed, there is a bug, but on our side, not in u-boot. We need
"saveenv" to flash, our script was using the .elf (via gdb) to flash the
.bin. And this flash operation was using the saveenv. So by using two
differents binaries, we solve our issue, and u-boot is going well :-)

Thanks Wolfgang for tyour reactivity and your recommendations. Please note
that in our final product, we'll use u-boot with total respect of its
philosophy, and we'll be aligned on one of the latest releases :)

Best regards,
Nicolas