[U-Boot] mkimage Question

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 18 18:38:50 UTC 2017

Dear Jeff,

In message <9CEC332718C5B346927BF91C9F4A66EAC03346 at prgmbx01> you wrote:

> New to U-Boot. It came installed with the BSP on a vendor MPC board
> to boot vxWorks. I have a requirement to use a checksum when
> downloading the vxWorks ELF image. Our development environ is Windows
> 7, using cross-compiler for target MPC. I have the source for U-Boot
> and see that mkimage is in the tools subdirectory, but I can't build
> all of U-boot for Windows (or even using the Wind River cross
> compiler tools).

The standard approach here would be to install Linux in a VM and use
this as a more developer-friendly environment.

On the other hand, why do you need mkimage at all?  There is a ton
of tools which can compute a standard CRC32 checksum (which is what
U-Boot uses), and U-Boot also has a "crc" command to verify the
checksum of a certain memory range.  So it may be a little bit more
typing, but the goal can be reached without compiling any new tools.

> Does denx have a compiled mkimage.exe for Windows?

Shudder... no, we don;t.  We are a 100% Windows-free company :-)

> Is there a way to build it by itself (without building all of U-boot)
> for Windows? I'm currently using mkimage.exe from CompuLab, but the
> company wants it from a more standard source, or preferably to build
> it ourselves. Thanks.

Windows is not exaclty a preferred or even well supported build
environment.  Today it is so easy to run a VM that this is probably
the way you should look at.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I don't mind criticism. You know me. I've  never  been  one  to  take
offence  at  criticism. No one could say I'm the sort to take offence
at criticism -- Not twice, anyway. Not without blowing bubbles.
                                  - Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_