[U-Boot] USB power is not enabled fro BeagleBone Black

Aaron Williams Aaron.Williams at cavium.com
Thu Jul 27 21:09:54 UTC 2017

One thing we have come across is that some USB drives require a longer delay
between powering up and initialization.

I have historically also run into a lot of problems with both Sandisk USB
devices and Sandisk SD cards, finding instances where they do not follow the
standards.

-Aaron

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 1:42:02 PM PDT Sergey Manucharian wrote:
> New findings:
>
> The problem is different, it happens only with USB 3 flash drives, USB 2
> devices are powered properly. I don't have real statistics, but the
> newest SanDisk's drives won't work.
>
> However, it's hard to believe that a tiny USB drive requests more than
> 500mA to assume that the controller and/or u-boot decide to not provide
> power to it.
>
> Sergey
>
> Excerpts from Lokesh Vutla's message from Mon 10-Jul-17 18:47:
> > On 7/8/2017 8:50 AM, Sergey Manucharian wrote:
> > > (sorry for top posting, sending from a phone)
> > >
> > > I would agree it's intentional at the first stage: we don't want to
> > > power external devices which we may not need, however, the "usb start"
> > > command must enable it, otherwise it's useless...>
> > Right. Any chance you bisected to the commit which caused the issue?
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> > Lokesh
> >
> > > -S.

Aaron Williams