[U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2017.09-rc4 released

Tuomas Tynkkynen tuomas.tynkkynen at iki.fi
Tue Sep 5 22:11:18 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 09/04/2017 10:55 PM, Paul Barker wrote:

> I looks like u-boot v2017.09-rc4 is still unable to boot Linux on
> Raspberry Pi devices. I've just tested this now on a Raspberry Pi
> (original Model B) and confirmed that it gets stuck at "Starting
> kernel ...".

FWIW, works for me. I think you need to be more specific since there are
huge number of variables related to running Linux on the RPi. My
configuration is:

- Device is Raspberry Pi Model B (512M RAM)
- Firmware is tagged 1.20170811
- U-Boot v2017.09-rc4
- The Foundation/Raspbian kernel tagged 1.20170811, based on 4.9.41. The
kernel is self-built. Or well, built by the package manager in NixOS but
I am the maintainer of the RPi kernel package there.
- As for the device tree, I am letting U-Boot load bcm2708-rpi-b.dtb
built by the Foundation/Raspbian kernel from disk (i.e. firmware is not
involved with the device tree at all)
- The framebuffer, USB, keyboard & Ethernet work in Linux. I have never
tested the other peripherals (or GPU acceleration).

My setup has been unchanged (except for routine package upgrades of the
firmware, kernel & U-Boot obviously) since July 2016. That's when the
Foundation/Raspbian kernel started requiring a device tree.