[U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2017.09-rc4 released

Paul Barker pbarker at toganlabs.com
Wed Sep 6 06:30:58 UTC 2017

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 11:11 PM, Tuomas Tynkkynen
<tuomas.tynkkynen at iki.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09/04/2017 10:55 PM, Paul Barker wrote:
>>

>> I looks like u-boot v2017.09-rc4 is still unable to boot Linux on
>> Raspberry Pi devices. I've just tested this now on a Raspberry Pi
>> (original Model B) and confirmed that it gets stuck at "Starting
>> kernel ...".
>

> FWIW, works for me. I think you need to be more specific since there are
> huge number of variables related to running Linux on the RPi. My
> configuration is:
>
> - Device is Raspberry Pi Model B (512M RAM)
> - Firmware is tagged 1.20170811
> - U-Boot v2017.09-rc4
> - The Foundation/Raspbian kernel tagged 1.20170811, based on 4.9.41. The
> kernel is self-built. Or well, built by the package manager in NixOS but I
> am the maintainer of the RPi kernel package there.
> - As for the device tree, I am letting U-Boot load bcm2708-rpi-b.dtb built
> by the Foundation/Raspbian kernel from disk (i.e. firmware is not
> involved with the device tree at all)

I think this is the difference. We're passing $fdt_addr through to
Linux. This is set to the saved fw_dtb_pointer which is the address
the firmware passed into u-boot at start up by the code in
board/raspberrypi/rpi/.

> - The framebuffer, USB, keyboard & Ethernet work in Linux. I have never
> tested the other peripherals (or GPU acceleration).
>
> My setup has been unchanged (except for routine package upgrades of the
> firmware, kernel & U-Boot obviously) since July 2016. That's when the
> Foundation/Raspbian kernel started requiring a device tree.

Thanks,

--
Paul Barker
Togán Labs Ltd