[U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2019.01-rc1 released

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Tue Dec 4 04:51:14 UTC 2018

Hey all,

So it's release day and I've put up v2019.01-rc1.  The merge window is
now closed and I've updated git and the tarballs are also up now.

Before I get into other comments, I need to talk about DM related
deadlines.  You may have seen a big series go out and say things related
to CONFIG_BLK need to be converted _right_now_ or be removed.  This was
a tad overzealous, and we had problems with prior notifications not
being noisy enough.  So, good news, we have some build related warnings
now.  And more good news, we've pushed some deadlines out until at least
v2019.04 or v2019.07.  But the bad news is that those are going to be
some rather firm deadlines.  So if you see a build warning, please do
look into fixing it, or asking for some help in fixing it as not all
issues are board-specific and we have some SoC-wide drivers that need
fixing.  But we need to update them.

Looking over my patchwork queue I see a few things I do want to grab but
given the time a CI cycle takes and that due to the RTC issue (thanks
again Heinrich for the fix!) I didn't get as much applied over the
weekend as I wanted, I see the following as things I want to pull in
over the next few days, even with -rc1 out:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?series=78259
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?series=78360
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?series=78668

And I will be doing that in the next day or two.

Looking over git log --merges v2018.11.. I can make out the following
for a changelog:
    - ftgmac100 improvements
    - TI: CPSW improvements
    - VSC8584 PHY support
    - Add MT7628 ethernet driver
    - Various sunxi, socfpga, riscv improvements
    - virtio implementation and supporting patches
    - DM_FLAG_PRE_RELOC fixes
    - regmap improvements
    - Various improvements in sandbox and buildman
    - Initial bcm968580xref, am65x_evm_r5 support
    - lpc32xx, omap3_logic/am3517_evm updates
    - pinctrl command
    - fs_loader available for SPL
    - MIPS: fix long-standing issue with linking of standalone programs
    - MIPS: MT76xx: add GPIO and WDT drivers
    - MIPS: MT76xx: various fixes and updates to gardena-smart-gateway board
    - MIPS: MT76xx: various fixes and updates to linkit-smart-7688 board
    - adc enhancements
    - Clearfog GT-8K support added by Baruch / Raheeb
    - Minor cleanup to db-88f6820 from Chris
    - Bring in the series from Simon for SPL logging support and bloblist
    - chiliboard updates
    - misc TI platform updates
    - chiliboard updates
    - Introduce CONFIG_SPL_DM_USB
    - Add MediaTek support
    - mmc: meson-gx: Add AXG compatible
    - net: designware: add meson meson compatibles
    - Amlogic Meson cleanup for AXG SoC support
    - meson: Add regmap support for clock driver and sync DT with 4.19
    - Some Kirkwood boards converted to DM_SPI by Chris
    - New Armada-385 SoC revision printed by Chris
    - Ethernet enable on mcbin by Baruch
    - Support 2 DRAM banks on Armada-8k boards by Baruch
    - Convert TPM fully to DM
    - Add a 'make qcheck' target for faster testing
    - Rockchip improvements:
        - RK3188 USB-UART functionality
        - errors triggering a hard-stop in SPL on the RK3399 are reported
        - Rockchip RV1108 (SoC) support
        - MicroCrystal RV3029 (RTC) DM driver
    - Rockchip fixes:
        - RK3188 early UART setup
        - limit SD-card frequency to 40MHz on the RK3399-Q7
        - MIPI fixes
        - RK3399 CPUB clock initialisation
    - ARC:
        - Try to match found HW features to known ARC core templates
        - Print CPU frequency for all ARC boards
        - Add more board-specific info
    - microblaze:
        - Use default functions for memory decoding
        - Showing model from DT
    - zynq:
        - Fix spi flash DTs
        - Fix zynq_help_text with CONFIG_SYS_LONGHELP
        - Tune cse/mini configurations
        - Enabling cse/mini testing with current targets
    - zynqmp:
        - Enable gzip SPL support
        - Fix chip detection logic
        - Tune mini configurations
        - DT fixes(spi-flash, models, clocks, etc)
        - Add support for OF_SEPARATE configurations
        - Enabling mini testing with current targets
        - Add mini mtest configuration
        - Some minor config setting
    - Raspberry Pi: 3A+, Allow 2nd MMC device, Allow UUID to find filesystem
    - UEFI:
        - Make PE images more standards compliant
        - Improve sandbox support
        - Improve correctness
        - Fix RISC-V execution on virt model
        - Honor board defined top of ram (fixes a few boards)
        - Imply DM USB access when distro boot is available
        - Code cleanups

And I'm glad a lot of custodians have taken the time to put a brief
summary of what's in a pull request.  I've even switched to making my
own branches and merging those in rather than directly applying to
master to have more information available when writing these summaries.
I'd like to ask that everyone please do this moving forward.  Otherwise
you risk me missummarizing your content.

I will follow the usual rule of an -rc every other Monday
and we're looking at release on January 7th, 2019.

Thanks all!

--
Tom