[U-Boot] network not work with u-boot

张国富 cleancode at 163.com
Wed Dec 5 10:25:39 UTC 2018

Hi all,
    Recently I came across a problem, and I tried many things but it still does not work.
    I have a board with a u-boot ready and the kernel image yet to upload. Unfortunately the board could not get the kernel image by ftp.
    The kernel image was built ready and the ftp server was running in my WIN 10 desktop, whose IP Addr is 172.16.0.10/255.255.0.0, accordingly, the board was configured as IP Addr to be 172.16.0.100/255.255.0.0. This was what I get: No progress could be made and stuck there.

  So I used the Wireshark to record what was going on from my desktop, and it showed me that: Destination unreachable (Port unreachable)
  I thought it was the uImage file missing, but it turned out that it was definitely there: I downloaded the uImage file by chrome browser on ftp://172.16.0.10/
  At last, I checked the u-boot configurations and I found a strange thing, as shown below:
  The configuration item ipaddr1 could be introduced by misspelling, I guess this also happens sometime for everyone here.
  But strange enough that it could not be deleted, I tried "setenv ipaddr1", "setenv ipaddr1 72.16.0.100", and the item ipaddr1 was still there.

  What is the root cause for the failure of ftp operation? does it have something to do with the strange configuration item ipaddr1?
  Any information or suggestion is highly appreciated.

--

Best wishes.

Zhangguofu (Gary)