[U-Boot] [linux-sunxi] A20-olinuxino-micro hangs in U-boot if powered from MINI-USB only.

Nikolai Zhubr n-a-zhubr at yandex.ru
Mon Dec 24 21:54:26 UTC 2018

Hi,
24.12.2018 22:54, John S:
> On Monday, 24 December 2018, 19:10:24 GMT, Nikolai Zhubr<n-a-zhubr at yandex.ru>  wrote:
>>> Hi,24.12.2018 20:32, Diego Roversi:
>>> in probing USB2 (see example below) in case it is powered by connecting
>>>
>>> I think it's normal. During the boot, u-boot initialize the usb otg, and for a
>>> fraction of second the power is disconnected. I solved it by attaching a
>>> battery (and I have a PSU as a side effect :) ).
>
>> Ah, got it. Thats a funny issue then. Its not the software to blame. Ok.
>> (Ideally, this peculiarity should probably have been mentioned by Olimex
>> in their docs, but maybe I've overlooked it.)
>> Solved it for now by disabling USB altogether.
>
> Isn't it caused by the software as stated above, i.e. nothing to do with Olimex?

Well, IMHO is has to do with Olimex because they designed this specific
circuitry, and the circuitry is such that 5V voltage constantly applied
to the micro-usb connector might essentially become disconnected (at the
board side) by programming -- if I understood it correctly. I suppose
this certainly could be prevented in hardware, by e.g. just wiring the
5V usb line to a power unit through a diode, whatever, unless it is
prohibited by some sort of usb compatability requirements. I don't know
if it would be good though. Of course the effect is caused by software
in some sence, but the software can not know that there is no other
power supply line present when it probes this usb port? Or could it
indeed? I'm not sure if AXP state could be somehow probed to do a
workaround, in theory, but that would be an extreme overcomplication anyway.

Thank you,

Regards,
Nikolai