[U-Boot] Where is the edge between a loader and (microkernel) OS

Duncan Hare dh at synoia.com
Thu Feb 1 17:00:18 UTC 2018

I'm looking at u-boot source code, and see a huge amount of hardware
drivers, used only for the loader.
On the other side, modern Linux kernels eat a more than half of RAM on
cheap embedded modules like HLK-R04.
Linux kernels have got fat.  I believe it would be easier to remove modules, and avoid the large task of coding.
What u-boot does not have
Memory managementVirtual MemoryMultitaskingApplication are compiled and linked into the u-boot binary.
I'd first put the linux kernels on a diet. Lit all the modules, describe each one's use, and then decide on
include/exclude each kernel module.
Tedious? yes. Coding? No. Testing? Yes but less than new code.

Duncan Hare

714 931 7952