[U-Boot] Build system: Don't check for CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE being set

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon Feb 12 21:03:56 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 12:48:02PM -0800, Max Filippov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 7:23 AM, Alexey Brodkin
> <Alexey.Brodkin at synopsys.com> wrote:
> > CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE must be set anyways and then it is used in many
> > places in the same Makefile without any checks
>
> Why? xtensa doesn't use any of it.
>
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 6:23 AM, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
> > I'm largely ok with the above, but:
> > - For Xtensa (Max?), CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_ADDR needs to be renamed to
> >   CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE there
>
> For xtensa that address is defined as an expression, like
> (CONFIG_SYS_MEMORY_TOP - CONFIG_SYS_MONITOR_LEN),
> and for a single board it may vary with the CPU core on that board.
> If I just do this replacement then linking fails because of this symbolic
> definition:
>
>   xtensa-dc233c-elf-ld.bfd    --gc-sections -Bstatic
> --no-dynamic-linker -Ttext "(CONFIG_SYS_MEMORY_TOP -
> CONFIG_SYS_MONITOR_LEN)"
>   xtensa-dc233c-elf-ld.bfd: invalid hex number `(CONFIG_SYS_MEMORY_TOP
> - CONFIG_SYS_MONITOR_LEN)'

OK.  But are those also really dynamic values?  SYS_MEMORY_TOP,
SYS_MONITOR_LEN and SYS_TEXT_ADDR need to be converted to Kconfig, or
removed from CONFIG namespace, whatever makes the most sense.  If the
notion of CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE is just pointless to Xtensa, we add them
to the ifneq(...,) test for the change Alexey is doing.  Thanks!

--
Tom