[U-Boot] UEFI on u-boot

Udit Kumar udit.kumar at nxp.com
Mon Jan 15 09:32:26 UTC 2018

Hi Alex

Ok,

> > 2- If I load  a driver (with bootefi) which install few protocols,  is
> > this ok to do with u-boot
>
> It depends on how much the driver does, but in general yes. Heinrich is
> currently working on making the iPXE iSCSI driver work, so his EFI payload
> would expose an EFI block device to yet another payload running after his.

Thanks for this,
Heinrich,  in  this driver, are you accessing underneath hardware register
by UEFI-Driver and managing UEFI protocols
or you are relying on some h/w access exposed by u-boot driver

> > 3- if you say, 2 is ok then I hope these protocols are kept in some
> > data base, and this new protocol can be opened by an application
>
> Yes, the protocol database is now global and persistent across bootefi
> invocations.

Thanks

> > 4- if there is some known limitation, like we cannot run DXE_driver
> > etc
>
> What exactly are you trying to do? With the U-Boot UEFI implementation
> we're trying to find a sweet spot between implementing as much as makes
> sense, but not the whole UEFI world, as that would just bloat the code
> needlessly.

I am trying to add a driver (DXE by definition) which
a) Access the hardware registers. (I said DXE could due to hardware registers)
b) Update memory map as well (AddMemorySpace call)
c) Finally it export a protocol, which could be used by its test application.

For b) I am not able to find function call,
For a), if I say driver is UEFI and accessing hardware register, will this be acceptable ?